Are Creditors Harassing You?
If you have fallen behind on your debt and are feeling overwhelmed, the Malaise Law Firm understands your situation completely. Every day we get clients calling us upset and despairing over the creditor calls they are receiving. Getting behind on your bills can be very stressful, but getting the creditor harassment can be even worse. If you are facing this situation, a San Antonio bankruptcy lawyer may be able to help you. Your best option in dealing with creditors is to retain an attorney to handle the situation for you. When your creditors are informed that you have an attorney who is representing you, all harassment and call will cease. By law, they must now direct their calls to our office.
The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act prohibits certain debt collectors from engaging in abusive behavior. Although It does not cover collection tactics employed by original creditors, such as a credit card, it does protect you against the harassment of a third-party debt collector such as a collection agency.
Some of the abusive practices prohibited by the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act include:
- Using obscene language.
- Using or threatening to use violence.
- Claiming you owe more than you do.
- Claiming to be attorneys when they are not.
- Sending you a paper that resembles a legal document.
- Adding unauthorized interest, fees, or charges.
- Calling you repeatedly or contacting you before 8 a.m. or after 9 p.m.
- Failing to identify themselves as bill collectors.
- Contacting you at work if your employer prohibits it.
- Claiming that you’ll be imprisoned or your property will be seized.
- Advising your employer for other third parties that you owe a debt.
- Contacting third parties, other than your attorney, a credit reporting bureau, or the original creditor.
Stopping Creditor Harassment in San Antonio
When faced with this type of harassment, realize you do not have to put up with it. Not only can retaining the Malaise Law Firm immediately eliminate these calls, but if they have violated the law the can face a lawsuit on your behalf. When you have delinquent bills, your best solution is to contact our office. With over 17 years of helping the community of San Antonio, we have the reputation you need to negotiate or settle your debts and stop the harassment once and for all. We can talk to you about filing for bankruptcy and other options that will stop constant contact and abusive collection practices.
Need help to stop creditors from harassing you? Contact a San Antonio Creditor Harassment Attorney at our law offices.